Founder & Managing Director
Chef Richie Lin was born in Hong Kong and raised in Canada. He graduated from University of Toronto with an economics degree and started his career in marketing. At 26 years old, after a few years in marketing, he decided to follow his dream — to become a chef.
Richie attended Le Cordon Bleu based in Sydney, Australia. While he was there, he met Australia-born chef Kai Ward at Quay, the two apprentices got along and their friendship grew into successful future endeavors.
Richie took the opportunity to work at noma, Pellegrino’s World’s Best Restaurant in Denmark. Aside from accumulating a wealth of experience, he met his future partner — chef Long Xiong, who was also a noma stagier.
After Copenhagen, Richie returned to Hong Kong and worked as a restaurant consultant, which included designing, logistics, all the way to its opening. He also recruited chef Long, who worked at Per Se, three-Michelin-Star restaurant in New York, in his restaurant consulting projects.
In 2014, he invited both chef Long and chef Kai to join the opening team at MUME. They introduced a new concept: “Casual Fine Dining” to Taiwan by applying modern European techniques with local ingredients.
In 2018, both chef Long and chef Kai left MUME to establish their own restaurants.
MUME, Latin for “plum blossom,” which is the surname of Richie’s mom, and also the National flower of Taiwan. The restaurant sources only the freshest produce from local farmers, to create exquisite dishes to share with food lovers around the world.
Since 2015, MUME has been recognized in numerous international awards, including 101 Best Restaurants in Asia, La Liste, OAD Top 100+ Asia Restaurant. They were also ranked number 7, the highest ranking on record in Taiwan, in Asia’s 50 Best Restaurant 2019; and awarded one Star since the first Michelin Guide in Taiwan.
“In season” and “sustainability” are the core values of MUME. Richie upheld the same principles to open Le Blanc in 2016, bann in 2018 and COAST in 2020. Le Blanc showcases delicious steaks, lobsters and burgers in a chic but casual environment; baan presents authentic Thai food which uses eco-friendly tablewares; and COAST aims to make sophisticated, fresh modern seafood cuisine. In 2020, Richie established MUME Hospitality Group which consists of the four restaurants mentioned above. Richie will continue to use local ingredients that’s in season and sustainable while growing MUME Hospitality Group for future generations to enjoy.
Major Work & Accomplishments
- Co-founder of restaurant Nur (Hong Kong) (Nur was awarded 1 Star by Michelin Guide Hong Kong 2015)
- Opened MUME as Chef & Owner (Taipei, Taiwan)
- Co-Host of International Chef Summit Asia (I.C.S.A) in Taiwan 2017
- Taiwan Tatler Generation T, 2018
- Speaker for the 50 BEST TALKS at Asia’s 50 Best Restaurant 2018
- Co-Host of International Chef Summit Asia (I.C.S.A) in Taiwan 2018
- The only Asian speaker and first appearance for Taiwan at Madrid Fusión 2019 in Spain
- Men of the Year 2019 by GQ Taiwan
- Consultant for iSee Taiwan Foundation
- Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) in Asia Region, Chefs4Farmers
- Founder of “YouWillBeFINE” Campaign, a crowdfunding project against COVID-19